08 May 2012

I WANT MATH TO DIE

Guess how many other things I should be doing right now instead of writing this post?

  1. Work on my Biology lab
  2. Study for my math test tomorrow
  3. Finish reading the third Percy Jackson book
  4. Study for my math test tomorrow
  5. Take my dog on her daily walk
  6. STUDY FOR MY FREAKING MATH TEST TOMORROW
Most unfortunately, three out of the six pertain to math. More specifically, the test that I have coming up tomorrow. Today I got hit with a painful bag of bricks when I took a four question mini quiz in math that was supposed to help us gauge how well we'd do on the upcoming test (Note: the bag of bricks was not literal. Mostly just metaphorical and also a little bit figurative). In an interesting turn of events I managed to completely bomb every single question on the mini quiz. I wasn't even in the ballpark with my answers.

What is also concerning is before the test my friend Peyton told me one of the answers she'd found out from another friend. It "had to do with the sector problem". Considering my knowledge on what exactly a sector is, is extremely limited, I didn't even know what question to put that answer for. So instead of 1/4 I received 0/4. 

We graded the mini quizzes in class immediately after we took them. We switched papers with the person behind us, and our teacher told us the answers. When I got my paper back, I was not satisfied. In a moment of passion I ripped my paper in two and slammed it on my desk. Not a minute later I found out we'd have to be handing these mini quizzes in to our teacher. I looked at my friend sitting next to me, and pleadingly asked, 

"WHAT SHOULD I DO?!"

She proceeded to ask the teacher what would happen if you ripped your paper in half. He said that you would get an automatic zero. And me, being the idiot that I am, said,

"Well, I already got a zero anyway, so it doesn't even matter."

Big mistake. I felt like every single pair of eyes in the classroom turned to look at me. I could feel my face redden, and the tears forming in my eyes. I rested my head in my arms and tried to not act like a total fool for the rest of the class. I wasn't even able to manage that. As I looked back at my torn paper a few minutes later, I tore it up into even smaller chucks. I wasn't satisfied until the paper was so unsalvageable that I had to throw it in the garbage can. My teacher said nothing. 

Considering today's events, I probably really should study right now, but it seems that even when I do study, I still do poorly on my tests. Sometimes even worse than when I don't study. Since my track record with math has been less than satisfactory, I think I'm just going to have to call this one a draw.

Edit: Also this link because this is the other side of my emotions today besides indignation.
Edit #2: I found this while on tumblr tonight and this is pretty much what happens over summer break.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah... I got a 1/4 on that quiz, and I'm not even sure how I got that... However, instead of tearing my quiz up, I unleashed my limited amount of artsy talents onto it. I drew a cartoon me yelling "What is math?!" and drew question marks and shapes around my head. The end product was satisfactory..! :D

    HoNk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did something productive with your quiz!! :) I hope I can see this art someday, and if not, perhaps other works by you, in which you question math and all that it encompasses. Or anything, really ;)

      Delete

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.