22 May 2012

For The Love of Hannah

Fun Fact: As of today I have only had one friend who has the same name as me. You'd think with a name like Hannah, I'd have five or six friends with my name. And while it's true that there are hoards of Hannah's walking the halls at my school (alliteration intended), I have yet to befriend any of them. The only other Hannah I've ever been friends with was a pen pal of mine from a couple of summers ago. She lived a few hours away out in the countryside, and I only ever met her in person once. The reason we became pen pals was because I was already a pen pal with my aunt, who lived in the same town as Hannah. Since we're about the same age, my aunt gave me her address and we began writing to one another. We haven't really corresponded much lately, because we're so busy, but as of right now she is the only Hannah who's ever been my friend.

I don't know why I am so opposed to being friends with other Hannah's, and I think part of the problem is I was so unaware of this for so long. The only reason it was brought to my attention was because I was in the infamous Foods class (come to think of it, most of my problems have started in that class). A couple of weeks ago we were put into new groups, and my teacher thought it would be hilarious to put the three girls in the class with the same name in one group. While working with the other Hannah's, I realized I was not friends with either of them, nor any of the other Hannah's in the school. It is absolute chaos trying to get anything done in a group with people who all have the same name. Whenever any of us try to address the other, the other Hannah will turn around as well. The funny thing is there was actually a fourth Hannah in my class, but she stopped showing up, so only us three remain. I don't really know the other Hannh's in my group really well, so things get pretty awkward whenever we try to talk to each other, at least from my perspective. Our conversations never really stray from school and movies.

My problems don't stop there, though. I also have a Hannah in my math class. Whenever me and the other Hannah both raise our hands to ask a question, my teacher, being the jerk wad that he is, will say,

"Yes, Hannah?"

This prompts us to make a decision of who is going to ask their question first, while my teacher looks on with a devious grin plastered across his face (I could complain more about him, but I'll stop here. Honestly, though, there is a lot to be said about a man who forces me to calculate the surface area of grain silos). Pretty much every time my teacher pulls this stunt it ends in an uncomfortable silence.

Case in point, I hate having a common name, and the only thing I hate more than that is being friends with someone named Hannah, too.

P.S.-I was very nearly named Mary Catherine, and I really question why my parents didn't go with that name. Honestly, there are so many good nick name opportunities there, whereas Hannah only has "Hannah Banana". I was called Hannah Banana so much as a small child I actually believed my middle name was Banana for a year or two, much to the distress of my mother.

If you could change my name, what name would you give me?

4 comments:

  1. I am happy to say that I have never had this problem, and I do have wonderful nicknames, all of which include:
    Jaws
    Joser Boser
    Joser Monster

    Actually the only people who call me the last two are my Colorado grandparents and my Dad...

    If I were to rename you, I would name you... I don't know, the possibilities are endless, and to be honest, I really like the name Hannah for you! :oD

    HoNk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have so many nick names!! :D

      And I guess it's good you like me name? If you gave me any better ideas I might demand that you guys start calling me that >:)

      Delete
  2. I want to rename you the Pulverizer. Alternatively, H-Izzle. Or H-Azzle. Or Champion. Maybe Buddy?

    (you've become a dog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestions >:) I think I will adopt one of the dog names. What better to go by than Champion? Buddy makes me think of Air Bud too much, and that movie brings back a lot of painful memories.

      Delete

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.