I always thought that frog dissections were only things that happened on television. It never occurred to me that I might actually have to perform one at some point in my life. Unfortunately, my Biology class is on our dissection unit, and we have to dissect frogs. The smell in our classroom this entire week has been absolutely putrid. Just imagine the smell of hundreds of dead frogs mingled with preservative and shame.
The worst part is that we had to write our name along with our partner's names on a piece of tape and wrap it around one of the frog's legs so we could identify which is ours later. Each day that we're done working on our frogs we have to put them back into a Ziplock bag. I think this wouldn't be that bad if everyone didn't have to put all the frogs in the same bag. The sight of 15 dead frogs in a big plastic bag is just gut wrenching. There are so many frogs in the bag that it won't even close, and random frog limbs are poking out all over the place. What made it even worse was this morning (first period, no less), my teacher opened up a drawer and inside there were about 10 other bags filled with dead frogs. I nearly lost my breakfast. I don't know how many more days we're going to have to work on these frogs, but I hope to God that tomorrow is the last day.
I haven't actually had to touch the frog yet, which I am extremely thankful for. I chose two lab partners that were both extremely enthusiastic about dead amphibians, which has helped considerably in my mission to not lay a finger on the dead frog. One of them was gone this morning, leaving only me and my friend Ben. The problem today was that Ben jammed one of his thumbs and he has to have a brace-thing on his hand, so he couldn't use that hand to dissect. And since he was missing the use of one hand and my other partner was gone, I actually had to be an active participant in the dissection today. Of course today was the day that we had to make an incision on the frog's leg and then tear it's skin off. Don't ask me why we had to do that, because I have no answer except my Biology teacher made me. (Note: I still didn't touch it, I made Ben do it all because I'm a terrible person who gets squeamish too easily).
If we are truly done with the dissection tomorrow, I will be the happiest girl in the world. My only other worry at this point is if we're going to have to do a Lab Practical Exam, and do part of a dissection for a grade. If that's the case, I'm probably going to fail.
Unrelated Side Note: Still no news on my Geometry test. I'm getting scared now that it's still not graded. I go to Geometry next period so hopefully I'll find out my grade then, fingers crossed! :3
The worst part is that we had to write our name along with our partner's names on a piece of tape and wrap it around one of the frog's legs so we could identify which is ours later. Each day that we're done working on our frogs we have to put them back into a Ziplock bag. I think this wouldn't be that bad if everyone didn't have to put all the frogs in the same bag. The sight of 15 dead frogs in a big plastic bag is just gut wrenching. There are so many frogs in the bag that it won't even close, and random frog limbs are poking out all over the place. What made it even worse was this morning (first period, no less), my teacher opened up a drawer and inside there were about 10 other bags filled with dead frogs. I nearly lost my breakfast. I don't know how many more days we're going to have to work on these frogs, but I hope to God that tomorrow is the last day.
I haven't actually had to touch the frog yet, which I am extremely thankful for. I chose two lab partners that were both extremely enthusiastic about dead amphibians, which has helped considerably in my mission to not lay a finger on the dead frog. One of them was gone this morning, leaving only me and my friend Ben. The problem today was that Ben jammed one of his thumbs and he has to have a brace-thing on his hand, so he couldn't use that hand to dissect. And since he was missing the use of one hand and my other partner was gone, I actually had to be an active participant in the dissection today. Of course today was the day that we had to make an incision on the frog's leg and then tear it's skin off. Don't ask me why we had to do that, because I have no answer except my Biology teacher made me. (Note: I still didn't touch it, I made Ben do it all because I'm a terrible person who gets squeamish too easily).
If we are truly done with the dissection tomorrow, I will be the happiest girl in the world. My only other worry at this point is if we're going to have to do a Lab Practical Exam, and do part of a dissection for a grade. If that's the case, I'm probably going to fail.
Unrelated Side Note: Still no news on my Geometry test. I'm getting scared now that it's still not graded. I go to Geometry next period so hopefully I'll find out my grade then, fingers crossed! :3
Dude. That was the best biology class I have ever had. The smell of formaldehyde as the juices flowed from the frogs body, the sound of it's skin ripping from the muscle... I was in my happy place the entire time! Of course, my lab partners weren't nearly as happy... If you didn't know, I aspire to be a veterinarian.
ReplyDeleteHoNk!
Oh honey, you better believe I know you want to be a veterinarian. When you're an adult I want to come to you and have you fix my pet's ouchies :) And I am not surprised at all to learn that you were completely in your element! I am sad I was not there to witness you in the zone.
Delete"The smell of formaldehyde as the juices flowed from the frogs body, the sound of it's skin ripping from the muscle..."
^^This is why I love you, Jos ;)
Unlike you, both of my partners were feeling squeamish today. I had to peel back the skin from the frogs leg, cut at it's throat to see more of the right ventricle. Luckily, I was saved by the bell and I didn't have to take out it's intestines. I am NEVER touching a frog alive or dead again!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I am never touching a frog again either! I used to like frogs, but now I feel like we've crossed some sort of gross line with this lab.
Delete