As I was walking my dog today, I wondered, "Am I a jerk because I didn't cry when Dobby died in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?"
Since I am currently rereading all the Harry Potter books, I have been thinking about my favorite characters, and how I reacted when I read their deaths the first time around. When Sirius died, I bawled like a baby, then when Dumbledore died, I sobbed, and I don't really want to talk about when Fred, Lupin, and Tonks all died. But I realized that all of my friends told me that they became emotional wrecks when Hedwig and Dobby died in the seventh book, whereas I didn't shed a tear. Sure, I pretend in front of my friends that I got really upset, and I play along, but inside I know it's not true.
Don't get me wrong, I was distraught when Hedwig and Dobby died, but I didn't cry. Does this make me a jerk? Even though I really liked Hedwig, I just didn't have the emotional attachment to her that I had to Lupin or Dumbledore. And as for Dobby, I was never a huge fan. I liked him in Goblet of Fire, but when he made his first appearance in Chamber of Secrets he just weirded me out. I thought that he was an inconvenience, and that he was sorta creepy.
So, you decide, am I a jerk?
No, I wouldn't say that you're a jerk. You're just not as sensitive about the deaths of Harry's poor, loyal pet bird and small, creepy friend who saved his life multiple times. I cried, but I'm just a sap.
ReplyDeleteHoNk!