17 May 2013

Strange Times

Yesterday was the seniors' last day. Even though this has happened every year for more than 50 years at Westside, it's strange this year. Maybe it's because my older brother is graduating. Maybe it's because my favorite cousin is graduating. Maybe it's because one of my closest friends is graduating. I can't exactly pin point why I'm feeling so melancholy this year (when I should really be partying hard), but there has to be something behind it.

Whenever I think of my brother and cousin Katie as being college students, I can't really comprehend it. Even though they are both two years older than me, we have always been clumped in the same group as "younger kids" in the family since we were the last three grandkids born. To think that they're moving on to something so adult, I can't even begin to think it's real. All of my other cousins have graduated and made the trip to college, but they always seemed like adults to me. When you're a 7 year old, your 18 year old cousin seems like the most wise and adult person in the world.

 I've begun to notice the past few years is that there is no distinction between children and adults. I've met adults who act like children, and children who have enough sadness in them to last a lifetime. I can't feel like my brother and cousin are adults now because in my mind we're all still kids. We may as well just be our 7 & 9 year old selves, playing baseball in my grandparent's backyard.

Life is just so weird sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.