**9/3/13: Today I've been going through my drafts folder and I'm just gonna publish all the old shit I never finished before. I think I wrote this piece sometime in November 2012**
Did I ever tell you guys about the disaster that was Outdoor Education? Basically, I needed community service hours because I want to graduate high school, and there was an education program that needed free labor. It was a match made in hell. On October 3 and 4 of this year, I spent two days in the wilderness.
Okay, perhaps "the wilderness" is an overstatement, considering the fact we had heated cabins and running water and were half an hour outside town, but still. I was working as a camp counselor at Outdoor Ed. I don't know if all schools do this, but in my district they send all the 6th graders out to a state park for two days to learn about wildlife. And since the teachers don't want to have to sleep in the cabins with the 6th graders, they get a bunch of high schoolers to do it. I was assigned a group of 5 girls, and they were all sweet, but they hated my guts. I don't know what I did to make them hate me, but by the end of the two days those girls wanted nothing to do with me. They absolutely adored my friend Kenneth though. Go figure.
It was absolutely terrible having to spend two days with a bunch of preteens. They were all loud, and a few were particularly obnoxious. And since I was a counselor, I didn't get to participate in any of the fun activities like horse back riding. Of course I got to participate in team building, though. And don't forget the stress management class they had! I think the only fun I had was during canoeing. Even though the lake was disgusting, I had a great time out on the water. I got to go out twice on the water, and luckily I was with girls who were pretty good canoers, so we didn't tip over. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if we did tip over.
There is actually quite a bit more I could say about Outdoor Ed, but I think I'll spare you all the minute details. They probably wouldn't be of any interest to y'all anyhow. I will say one thing though, if you ever want to an Outdoor Ed counselor, make sure you know what you're geting into before you volunteer.
Did I ever tell you guys about the disaster that was Outdoor Education? Basically, I needed community service hours because I want to graduate high school, and there was an education program that needed free labor. It was a match made in hell. On October 3 and 4 of this year, I spent two days in the wilderness.
Okay, perhaps "the wilderness" is an overstatement, considering the fact we had heated cabins and running water and were half an hour outside town, but still. I was working as a camp counselor at Outdoor Ed. I don't know if all schools do this, but in my district they send all the 6th graders out to a state park for two days to learn about wildlife. And since the teachers don't want to have to sleep in the cabins with the 6th graders, they get a bunch of high schoolers to do it. I was assigned a group of 5 girls, and they were all sweet, but they hated my guts. I don't know what I did to make them hate me, but by the end of the two days those girls wanted nothing to do with me. They absolutely adored my friend Kenneth though. Go figure.
It was absolutely terrible having to spend two days with a bunch of preteens. They were all loud, and a few were particularly obnoxious. And since I was a counselor, I didn't get to participate in any of the fun activities like horse back riding. Of course I got to participate in team building, though. And don't forget the stress management class they had! I think the only fun I had was during canoeing. Even though the lake was disgusting, I had a great time out on the water. I got to go out twice on the water, and luckily I was with girls who were pretty good canoers, so we didn't tip over. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if we did tip over.
There is actually quite a bit more I could say about Outdoor Ed, but I think I'll spare you all the minute details. They probably wouldn't be of any interest to y'all anyhow. I will say one thing though, if you ever want to an Outdoor Ed counselor, make sure you know what you're geting into before you volunteer.
No comments:
Post a Comment
"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."
Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.
please comment.