This weekend I tried to do something I haven't done in years.
I sewed. Like, on an actual sewing machine. The last time I did this was probably in eighth grade, and since I'm a sophomore now it has been a considerable amount of time. I actually forgot how to even set up a machine, and my mom had to reteach me how to do everything, which was annoying, to say the least.
Today I'm sporting my latest creation, which is a headband! I decided to ease myself back into sewing with something tiny and easy, and the headband proved to fit the bill. The only problem is that I have a rather large head and the first one I made I followed the pattern exactly and the finished product was way too small for my head. The second attempt went much smoother, after I added two extra inches of fabric onto the pattern! It took the greater part of my Sunday afternoon to finish it, but it was well worth the effort.
Yesterday I decided I wanted to make a purse, since I bought a pattern and some fabric to make a purse a few months ago. I never had the gumption to make it, though. Once again, my mother had to basically spoon-feed me every step, and now I'm almost done! I'd never made a purse before, so it's really challenging! I have to use interfacing, which is really hard to pin. I also have to pleat and use basting stitches, which are two other things I'd never done before!
The only hitch I've had to deal with thus far in making the purse is that I purchased the wrong size zipper!! So I had to stop production yesterday and since my mom has today off she agreed to go to Hobby Lobby and buy an appropriately sized zipper.
I would post pictures of my creations, but unfortunately my camera is broken :(
I sewed. Like, on an actual sewing machine. The last time I did this was probably in eighth grade, and since I'm a sophomore now it has been a considerable amount of time. I actually forgot how to even set up a machine, and my mom had to reteach me how to do everything, which was annoying, to say the least.
Today I'm sporting my latest creation, which is a headband! I decided to ease myself back into sewing with something tiny and easy, and the headband proved to fit the bill. The only problem is that I have a rather large head and the first one I made I followed the pattern exactly and the finished product was way too small for my head. The second attempt went much smoother, after I added two extra inches of fabric onto the pattern! It took the greater part of my Sunday afternoon to finish it, but it was well worth the effort.
Yesterday I decided I wanted to make a purse, since I bought a pattern and some fabric to make a purse a few months ago. I never had the gumption to make it, though. Once again, my mother had to basically spoon-feed me every step, and now I'm almost done! I'd never made a purse before, so it's really challenging! I have to use interfacing, which is really hard to pin. I also have to pleat and use basting stitches, which are two other things I'd never done before!
The only hitch I've had to deal with thus far in making the purse is that I purchased the wrong size zipper!! So I had to stop production yesterday and since my mom has today off she agreed to go to Hobby Lobby and buy an appropriately sized zipper.
I would post pictures of my creations, but unfortunately my camera is broken :(
Your head band is fabulous! And the purse will be too...I think that once it's done, you'll have to take your mother's advice and stick some gum in there. That way, you can show off your handy work, and have a use for it at school :D
ReplyDeleteYes! I agree! You should bring it to school, we'd all love to see. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope that I can bring it to school!! :) I'll probably finish it this weekend, so maybe next monday I'll bring it! :D
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome, Hannah! I really want to sew so many things, but I'm always so busy/lazy... I wanted to make Lemonsnout, and a Rennaissance dress, and a blanket... Bluh!
ReplyDeleteJOS YOU CAN COMMENT AGAIN :D So glad to have you back, darlin! And I know how you feel about the sewing thing. Too many projects, so little time...
Delete