I think I should go to bed right now, but I have a headache and don't feel like laying down. I figured blogging might help relax me and get me off to bed!
Anyway, tonight I was riding in the car with my dad, and we were blasting the oldies. What I've noticed, which holds true for most oldies stations, is that only music from the 60's,70's, and 80's are played. I can't help but wonder if those decades will be forever defined as "the oldies", or if eventually music from the 90's will be added into the mix as well. Who is the person that draws the line that says "This is oldies" and "This is not"? For example, why isn't music from the 1920's up through the 50's not played on the oldies station? Those songs certainly are old, aren't they? Does that mean that the 90's will be excluded from the oldies club just like music from the 50's?
Obviously, there aren't going to be exactly clear cut lines. Just the other day I was listening to my city's "modern hits" station, and they started playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Last I checked, the year 1991 wasn't exactly modern. At least when you compare it to music of today, anyhow. It confuses me to think that the same station will play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and then follow up with "Call Me Maybe". How will our musical generation be defined? Will it be from the 90's up through the 2020's? Only time will tell.
That was my drabble for this evening. Feel free to try and answer my rhetorical questions in the comment section below ;P
Anyway, tonight I was riding in the car with my dad, and we were blasting the oldies. What I've noticed, which holds true for most oldies stations, is that only music from the 60's,70's, and 80's are played. I can't help but wonder if those decades will be forever defined as "the oldies", or if eventually music from the 90's will be added into the mix as well. Who is the person that draws the line that says "This is oldies" and "This is not"? For example, why isn't music from the 1920's up through the 50's not played on the oldies station? Those songs certainly are old, aren't they? Does that mean that the 90's will be excluded from the oldies club just like music from the 50's?
Obviously, there aren't going to be exactly clear cut lines. Just the other day I was listening to my city's "modern hits" station, and they started playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Last I checked, the year 1991 wasn't exactly modern. At least when you compare it to music of today, anyhow. It confuses me to think that the same station will play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and then follow up with "Call Me Maybe". How will our musical generation be defined? Will it be from the 90's up through the 2020's? Only time will tell.
That was my drabble for this evening. Feel free to try and answer my rhetorical questions in the comment section below ;P
I feel like old and modern music is what you think of it depending on what times you've lived through. :3 I feel like that I'd call the 40-70's oldies. And like 1900-1930 would be in it's own sort of class. I think that just too many younger people remember the 80s up to now so it can be considered modern.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good way to think about it! I think it makes a little bit more sense than what I was saying! ;)
DeleteCall Me Maybe is a terrible, really overplayed song that should have never been recorded. But really good post Hannah :D I feel the same way abut the oldies channel...I don't think I've ever heard any music from the 1930's or 20's on the radio!
ReplyDelete