Ever since my induction into the Summer Break lifestyle (staying up late, internet, eating junk food, more internet), about a week or so ago, I've been doing some thinking about this whole blogging thing. Before I get too ahead of myself, let me just say that I've been cheating on Blogspot and spending a lot of time on Tumblr recently. One main thing I've noticed about Tumblr is that on there, one person may have over 5,000 people following their blog. Now, I am not saying that those people do not deserve every single one of those thousands of followers. My guess is that they have a long history on the site, and have worked their booties off. I am genuinely happy for those people. "Good work being awesome!" I often say to my screen, nodding approvingly at the people who have blogs more popular than I could ever dream of mine being (Both my Tumblr blogs and this Blogspot one).
The one thing that starts to bother me is that there are some people who probably get no recognition for what they post. Maybe it's because other people aren't interested in the posts, or the fandom isn't very large, etc. I just can't help but wonder how those people doing the posting feel. They are most likely very proud of their blogs (I am damn well sure I'm proud of mine), but sometimes I worry unnecessarily if other people get so upset about not having followers as I do. I will admit this now, I want more followers. On all of my blogs. It is a hard pill to swallow, but as a blogger you have to be able to accept the fact that not everyone is going to like what you produce. This probably isn't hard to believe, but some days I go back through all my posts, read them, and think "How come nobody likes these posts? They're so freaking hilarious" (These days are extraordinarily outnumbered by the days where I reread old posts and then roll up in a ball and crey 5ever, but that's a whole different story).
I think that this never really occurred to me because in all honesty I never thought about any of this until Tumblr entered my life. I believe a big part of this is that on Tumblr there are more users who actually follow blogs than on Blogspot. I can really only think of three blogspot blogs off the top of my head that have more than a few hundred followers (Hyperbole and a Half, Books of Adam [okay, not really blogspot, but I think he just buys a custom domain], and The Sassy Curmudgeon).
Of course all of this makes me wonder if my blogs will ever "make it". I suppose we'll never know until the future gets here, but gosh darnit that it such a long time away. I hope for the best with this humble Infinitely Pi, but even I lose the will to try and post, because it all seems pretty futile.
I am done being cynical about blogging now /ends rant
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check Tumblr.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check Tumblr.
My dear Hannah, I absolutely love your blog! Sometimes I just go back and read old posts, and then I sit there and laugh for ten minutes straight as my family watches on in horror. If you ever stop, I will have to tie you up, take you to my house, and starve you until you write more funny posts. Let's not let this happen. I've no interest in going to jail, but if you force my hand... Anyway, don't worry about how many followers you don't have. Think about the followers that you DO have, and how much we love you. I will always remain loyal to this blog and it's author, even if it kills me. :o)
ReplyDeleteOh Josalyn, thank you so much for taking the time to type out that huge paragraph for me! I am so glad that you enjoy my blog this much, and that you would go as far as kidnapping to keep me motivated. (I am also pleased that you take the time to comment on posts as angsty as this one). Your advice about only thinking about the followers I do have is something that I will most definitely take to heart. Thank you so much for commenting, Jos, you put a big ol' smile on my face, and made my day much, much better :)
DeleteMy dearest moirail,
ReplyDeleteIf you cease to update your blog, I might literally die. I think You're blog should have millions of followers!!!! But if it makes you feel better, you still have more followers than me! :P I stole my dad's phone just so that I could get on your blog and have a smidgen of Hannah for the day! I miss you so much! I'll see you soon.
Love,
Dirk Strider :)
Well, I don't want you to die, and I don't want Jos to get arrested for criminal charges, so I guess the show must go on!! Heh, thanks for performing an act of truancy just so you could read my blog :) I miss you too!
DeleteLove,
Jake English ;)