06 June 2012

Don't Trash This Post You Hear Me Hannah

I am not including this post in my Fun Tunes Tuesday series because quite frankly it is not fun one bit. I think I wrote this song sometime in the beginning of February of this year, when I was still a relative newbie to the ukulele (which explains the lack of chord variation and poor quality in general). Pretty much November through April of this past school year was a particularly rough patch for me, because I had to deal with the fact that one of my best friends was going to have to move away over the summer. The stress of realizing I would have to live without her really bothered me. I started to get stress induced rashes and I worried even more than usual (which is really saying something, in my opinion). That is why I wrote this song, because I thought that it could help me drain out some of my negative feelings about the situation. At the time I despised the song, rarely playing it, and I even considered throwing it away. After letting it sit in my notebook for a few months, I revisited it last week, and I am glad I didn't throw it away. It is an odd sensation looking back at the state of emotional turmoil I was in then, but it makes me feel proud of myself that I was able to at least express my emotions in a somewhat productive manner. Luckily my friend found out she no longer has to move, so I guess the song is a tad out-dated, but I feel like it acts as a sort of anthem for that period in my life. It was a time of great stress, anxiety, fear, anger, frustration, hatred, and so many other things all balled up into one. Thus this song was born.

Uploaded from Youtube. Maybe the videos will work better this way -.-'

That's it, in all of it's weird and uncomfortable glory. I would also like to point out that I had been listening to a heck of a lot of Ingrid Michaelson before I wrote this song, and I can't help but feel like that influenced this fiasco in some way. I hope that you enjoyed, and please leave your feedback in the comments section below! 

Note: When I originally made this post a few days ago I had called the draft "Don't Trash This Post You Hear Me Hannah" because I wanted to make sure I actually posted this song. I decided I like that title, so it stays.

Edit: Josalyn is one smart cookie, and she suggested I post the lyrics to my song:

Even though I know that you can't stay
I still like to picture you by my side.
You already leave me in the summertime,
Now why must you disappear for the winter months too?


I face each day all alone,
like I don't already know
all of the things this cruel world
has in store for me


Yes I know that things are building up.
And yes I know that time will never stop,
but I still want you to know that I care...


Even though I know you've gone away,
and are no longer by my side,
I need to learn to breathe in the summertime,
and fight off the cold and dark in the winter too. 

3 comments:

  1. Hannah, that song was sad, but it was really good, and I'm glad that you posted it!

    Also, when you post videos, I think it would be cool if you could post the lyrics to the songs underneath them... You don't have to do this, but I thought I'd put it out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Jos!! I think your idea is really good, and that it could be really helpful to post the lyrics. Check back in in about five minutes and the lyrics will be up :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy this song, and I think it was a really emotional time for everyone. I glad that you posted it because it makes me happy that I get to here your voice :) you truly have a gift for writing songs and then having the course to sing them on your blog. I could never do that. I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.