21 June 2012

National God Tier John Appreciation Week

This past May Josalyn and I created our own holiday. We made this holiday mostly on the basis of because we could, and with the ideal of "why the hell not?". While this holiday was ill-advised in nature and thoroughly unnecessary, we went on ahead with it anyway because there was absolutely no one around to stop us. The ball really got rolling in the third week of May, on a Sunday night. Josalyn and I had been messaging each other with our school-based email known as First Class. (I hate First Class). Our messages had been reduced to us just sending each other pictures of Homestuck fanart that we'd collected over the year and saved to our desktop. Throughout this whole charade Josalyn and I figured out a few things: One, that we both had a lot of fanart saved of John Egbert. And two, that the tech support people who moderated First Class had absolutely no issues with us sending each other fanart of fictional boys getting frisky (The second fact really doesn't relate to the holiday, but I still felt like it would be important to point this out for possible future reference).

That fateful Sunday night Josalyn sent me a picture of the character John all gussied up in his God Tier attire, I retaliated in kind, which set off a chain reaction of us spamming each other's in boxes with pictures of the boy dressed in blue. I believe it was I who first suggested the idea of our holiday (and please correct me if I am wrong, Josalyn), but after some careful planning we had our holiday mapped out. The "rules" went as follows:
  • It would last for the entire third week of May (Sunday through to the following Sunday)
  • We would wear blue on Monday just for kicks.
  • Wearing blue for the rest of the week sounded like a pretty good idea too.
  • Celebratory bracelets would be made and worn 
  • We would continue to send each other pictures of John Egbert over First Class
  • We would Appreciate God Tier John on a National level. 
These were the basic ideas of our holiday, and we were able to stick to them pretty well. I started to have problems somewhere around Day 3, though, because I ran out of blue shirts to wear. Josalyn, being the supportive friend she is, tried consoling me ("Hannah, blue jeans can count too!!"), but I still felt like I was sort of straying from the plan. Since Josalyn is a pro at celebrating holidays (her family goes all out for Saint Patrick's Day. Such commitment), she was able to do a good job with the festivities all week. It ultimately culminated to her wearing a blue dress to school on Friday, leaving me feeling inadequate and silly in my non-blue outfit. Josalyn looked absolutely fabulous by the way. (Josalyn, I am speaking directly to you now. You should wear that dress more often! You looked so cute I just wanted to scoop you up in my arms and never let you go. Luckily, I have some restraint).

Despite the fact that I had very little blue clothing, that was one of the most fun weeks I'd had all school year. The aforementioned bracelets were made and worn with pride! I asked Josalyn to send me a picture of the bracelet I made her, and I am very glad she complied:

Since the name of our holiday is so long, I chose to abbreviate it to "NGTJAW". That alone was too short, so I added on 2012 for some extra length. 

I really hope that Josalyn and I celebrate this holiday of ours next year. It was pretty fulfilling the whole week knowing that we were participating in a festival that we made up ourselves. Not only that, but it was an extremely nice distraction from studying from finals. Despite the fact that we were the only two who participated (our other friends were hesitant to jump on the bandwagon), it was still enjoyable for us. Also, Josalyn made me a bracelet a few weeks ago, that I briefly mentioned in my post about finally seeing The Avengers.  (That post is actually the reason I made this post, if you happen to recall...). 

Here is a picture I just took of the bracelet Jos made me. Being the savvy bracelet blogger I am has allowed me to excel in the art of taking unnecessarily artsy photos of bracelets.

I also just realized that if we were to celebrate this again next year I would need to make Josalyn a new bracelet, because the next time May rolls around, it will be the year 2013. As a bracelet maker with at least a shred of integrity still intact, I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I was letting my friend walk around with a bracelet that says '2012' on it when it is no longer 2012. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this one plays out, no?

P.S.- I'm sorry if I alienated any of my non-Homestuck blog readers with this post (Matt and Lia, if either of you even bothered to read this, I send out my apologies. Hey, at least you both get your names tagged in this post). 

3 comments:

  1. Hannah, you are a perfect human being.

    Our holiday was indeed suggested by you. It was a wonderful idea, and I'm really glad you thought of it! :oD

    We should make t-shirts for this holiday! That way we have one more day of blue covered, and come on, how cool would it be if we had T-SHIRTS for our holiday? Also, the blue dress wasn't that great, but I'm glad that you liked it!

    I don't mind the 2012 being there! If anything, it stands for the year that this holiday was founded! :oD I'm sorry about the poor quality of my picture. I was in a hurry, and my Pina Colada candle was the only thing that provided sufficient light... :o/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my lord, Josalyn! T-shirts are such a great idea!! WE MUST DO THIS. Oh my gosh, we could make multiples, and maybe do some tie-dye?! Oh wow I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Seriously, t-shirts is such a good idea.

      And don't worry about the quality of your pic! It's perfectly fine :) And I had no idea you had a Pina Colada candle! I'm jealous >:) (I was going to make a joke about that song about Pina Coladas, but I thought that would have been just too tacky).

      Thanks for commenting, Jos!!! :D

      Delete
    2. Yesss... All of the t-shirts, Hannah! ALL OF THEM! And I've never tie-dyed successfully before, so that would be fun!

      I actually considered referencing that song as well, but decided it was tacky. Great minds think alike?

      Delete

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.