I was bored and looking for something to do, so I decided to finally buckle down and learn Esperanto! Ever heard of it? It was made up in the late 1800s by a Polish man who was disgruntled by the communication barriers that came from so many people speaking different tongues in one area. His solution was to make up his own language that could be learned by everyone for easier communication. In other words, we'd all have a common language! Esperanto isn't meant to take the place of all the beautiful languages that already exist, rather it is to aid international communication! What makes it even better is that it is non-gendered and THERE ARE NO IRREGULAR ANYTHINGS. YOU HEARD ME RIGHT. NO IRREGULAR VERBS OR PREPOSITIONS OR DIRECT OBJECTS. HOLLA. (not to mention there are no declensions. You can hear me and all the other Latin students of the world crying from happiness in the distance.)
I started my Esperanto adventure by going to the blog thelanguagecommunity.tumblr.com and looking through the Esperanto tag. (if you ever need ANY information about a language, I recommend this site. Has a wide list of language tags!!) I first found a website that taught me some grammar basics and essential words, but the work was tedious and rather boring. So I hopped back onto thelanguagecommunity and found en.lernu.net. Like a shining beacon in the night, it has everything I could have ever hoped for in a language site. There are stories, reading & listening activities, and tutors on the site who you can choose from to literally check your work for you at the end of each unit! It's like heaven on earth for a language geek like me. Not to mention there's an instant messenger system available to all members where people can casually chat in Esperanto! Also the website in available in FORTY ONE LANGUAGES SAY WHAT.
I got such a metaphorical boner just writing this. You all NEED to visit the site. Maybe get an account and we can talk! :D
Gxis amikoj! :-)
I started my Esperanto adventure by going to the blog thelanguagecommunity.tumblr.com and looking through the Esperanto tag. (if you ever need ANY information about a language, I recommend this site. Has a wide list of language tags!!) I first found a website that taught me some grammar basics and essential words, but the work was tedious and rather boring. So I hopped back onto thelanguagecommunity and found en.lernu.net. Like a shining beacon in the night, it has everything I could have ever hoped for in a language site. There are stories, reading & listening activities, and tutors on the site who you can choose from to literally check your work for you at the end of each unit! It's like heaven on earth for a language geek like me. Not to mention there's an instant messenger system available to all members where people can casually chat in Esperanto! Also the website in available in FORTY ONE LANGUAGES SAY WHAT.
I got such a metaphorical boner just writing this. You all NEED to visit the site. Maybe get an account and we can talk! :D
Gxis amikoj! :-)
I've tried to learn Esperanto, too! I'm not too good at foreign languages, and had to stop because I was taking French class, but it was really cool. Lernu has one of the nicest sets of users that I've seen on any website, too.
ReplyDelete