22 April 2013

Small Revelations

I am wearing shorts today. I thought it was going to be nice outside, but it's just raining. I'm afraid that it will keep raining all day, and that it'll be pouring by the time school gets out. If tat is the case, I'm going to have to take off my shoes and hold them safely in my hoodie because I don't want to ruin them in the dirty water.

In other news, this morning in the car I had a mini revelation. It's not anything grand, and it's something that zillions of people already know, or already knew (in the case of all the people who are dead). For those of y'all who do not live in the good old U of A, you may not know that on our 25 cent coin there is the phrase E pluribus unum, which means 'out of many, one'.

"E" in Latin means 'out of' or 'away from'. If this word is used in a sentence, the word that something is coming out of has to be put into the ablative case. It's just how it is. And while in the car I realized that 'pluribus' is in the ablative case because 'ibus' is an ablative 3rd declension noun ending. And I had a huge nerd moment. Whether or not this makes sense to anyone else but me, I suppose that is not very importnat. At least I know I've actually learned something in Latin class.

UPDATE 5/13/13: As a matter of fact I did take off my shoes, and it was pouring freezing rain and my feet practically froze. On the ride home I wrapped my feet in my sweater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.