03 December 2011

Math is Too Hard, Time to Go to Sleep

If I had a dime for every time I got a 100% on a math test, I would have no dimes.

My disinterest in math started young, in kindergarten as a matter of fact. As I sat at my little desk, staring blankly at the gold-fish crackers I had to count, I thought to myself,

This is the most idiotic thing I have ever done in my entire life. 


Okay, perhaps I wasn't so eloquent, but what really matters is that I smashed some of my crackers to 'stick it' to math. And after the rush of adrenaline that pumped through my veins for conquering math, I knew that I would never, ever like it.

And this has proven to be true, without fail, for every math class I have ever taken. Times tables made me want to pull my hair out, long division made my eyes cross, and don't even get me started on the impact decimals had. It just so happens that whatever math class I may be in at the time, I can see no actual way to apply it to my life...ever.

For instance, once when I was learning about fractions in fourth grade, I had to compare different sized objects, and while I do not remember their exact size, all of them included weird fractions with denominators like '16' '8' and even a numerator of '5'. After trying without any luck to solve the problem, I went ballistic, scribbling all over the paper, and complaining about how I hated fractions. I honestly had no idea why in the world  I would ever have to use a fraction such as '8 and 13 sixteenths' (I still question the use of measuring things in sixteenths to this very day).

I did find some respite from all of the mind-numbing math problems in eighth grade when I took Algebra. For some reason still unknown even to myself, Algebra clicked for me. But that lasted only a short while. I now must suffer through the trials and tribulations that come along with Geometry.

I hate Geometry. Perhaps more than the average individual should. I'm not quite sure what it is that makes me hate it so, but I feel that the answer lies within the proofs.

Proofs are just too needy. They're like a small child who won't believe you when you say something that's true. They feel the need to say: You think you can eat that many bananas, WELL PROVE IT.


It frustrates me beyond belief. I don't understand why I can't just say AD is parallel to BC. No, I have to go through 12 freaking steps before I can say: Well, Geometry, take that. Yeah, I proved it. Now if you aren't so pushy next time maybe I can solve it in elven less steps. 


Whenever I crack open the 'ol text book to work on homework, a little movie plays out in my mind, it goes something like this:






And by that point I'll have basically given up on trying to finish my Geometry homework, and I go take a nap instead. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

"Toned, tan, fit and ready. Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy."

Words of wisdom from Snoop Dogg.

please comment.